Friday, June 7, 2013

"The Audacity of Hope"; Howler


I am officially confused. What “audacity” Gwendolyn Oxenham has to accurately describe the United States women’s national soccer team’s metamorphosis from the 1999 team's for-the-greater-cause mentality to the I-am-the-greater-cause publicity machine it is today, while simultaneously casting its current personalities as needed to succeed. How dare she make me reconsider my loath of brash Hope Solo!


U.S. 1999 World Cup team
Oxenham (a novelist and former collegiate soccer player) briefly overviews the history of U.S. women’s soccer in her article, “The Audacity of Hope,” featured in Howler’s Fall 2012 edition, but predominantly she contrasts Solo’s recent antics with the 1999 national team’s behavior. The strong introductory anecdote contrasting the titles of Mia Hamm’s and Solo’s autobiographies gives the article an objective feel. Oxenham immediately follows the initial punch with an efficient nut graf that states there are more differences between past and current players, “the legendary 1999 team and the legends of today,” than just the ‘me’ versus ‘us’ attitude.

Hope flying solo
Quantitative facts sprinkle the article, but the diverse, obscure anecdotes are the article’s backbone. True women’s soccer fans would drool over the rich content. Oxenham’s syntax reflects the personalities she describes. For example, when she describes Solo’s contempt for the “old team,” I see Solo’s disgusted face and hear her whiny voice complaining about Hamm’s fame.


Oxenham annoys me. She solidly explains Solo’s personality and behavior. She emphasizes players’ personalities and behaviors reflect society’s expectations. Solo succeeds on the pitch because of her confidence and competitiveness. Off the field, her pompousness and cattiness draw attention. Coach Anson Dorrance saying it is worth dealing with her antics to have the “greatest female goalkeeper in history” in the net solidifies why the U.S. needs Solo. I really do not want to admit he is right. 

5 comments:

  1. Solo’s autobiographies gives the article an objective feel. Oxenham immediately follows the initial punch with an efficient nut graf that states there are more differences.
    Microsoft Klantenservice

    ReplyDelete
  2. True women’s soccer fans would drool over the rich content. Oxenham’s syntax reflects the personalities she describes. For example, when she describes Solo’s contempt for the “old team,” I see Solo’s disgusted face and hear her whiny voice complaining about Hamm’s fame.
    Contact Outlook Belgie

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for sharing, The strong introductory anecdote contrasting the titles of Mia Hamm’s and Solo’s autobiographies gives the article an objective feel.
    to know more about it go to Facebook telefoonnummer

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice information of this.I enjoy this blog.If you want more information go here PayPal Bellen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice post
    here I want to say that,
    I am Elina Thomas, my company provides technical support to customers who have any issue with their laptop & computer(hardware and software), and printer, etc. Our technicians who have more knowledge about it will help you in resolving your issue properly within a minute, available 24*7.
    for any query support related to any software and hardware you can go to Avast Klantenservice Nederland

    ReplyDelete